Friday, June 19, 2009

Weekly Web Work, 6-15 through 6-19

I wrote a late-breaking story about an Indianapolis company, Norwood, being acquired for $162M after a bidding war. This is one of those companies we don't normally cover, and fortunately I was there to pick it up and get it online and in print, even on a Friday afternoon. On the same day, we got wind from the state about unemployment stats and produced a quick story about the jobless rate rising to 10.6 percent. Definite highlight was I conducted a Q&A with the co-founder of Tweet Photo. I wrote a short preview story Twitter app founder has Hoosier ties in advance of the publication. And here was the Twitterific Q&A, which if anything shows folks how a behind-the-scenes interview works!





On Wednesday, June 17 (pictured is the business page from that day) I had another productive day, writing 5 stories and posting two of my colleagues' stories. I also Twittered items in my morning newsletter to my followers (I was up to 188 on that day!) One of the arguments I also make is that it is better for me -- and for the Star -- to stay nimble; if possible, instead of concentrating on a single story, try to keep an eye on multiple assignments, similar to a TV producer. This way I won't be too overloaded with breaking news. And it worked on this date, too. At 1:30 p.m., I got wind (through a news release) of an Indy company winning a bid to design a new landing pad and hangar for President Obama's Marine-1 copter. As I was posting this story, my coworker Jeff Swiatek was e-mailed about a decision involving a street closure of high importance to our readers because it involved Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I contacted a DWD spokesperson and also another reporter for the Star and wrote it up, quickly. Here is City panel OKs Grand Ave. closure.


Here are the newsletters for this week:
6-15 FS and MD.
6-16 FS and MD
6-17 FS and MD
6-18 FS and MD
6-19 FS and MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment